10/11/13


dreamland beach, bali

Anyone who knows me well knows that I'm a beach person. However, these photos document my worst beach experience ever! I know, it looks so beautiful. However, I woke up that morning not feeling that great so I was just hanging out on a beach chair, taking these pictures. My younger brother came out of the waves exlclaiming that this was one of the most fun things he had ever done in his life! Well, I'm always afraid of missing out on really great things, so I reckoned I should play in the waves at least a bit.

Mike led me out to the waves and told me to jump under a wave so we could get past the point at which they were breaking, but I wasn't ready so I totally got caught up in it. Next thing I knew, I was getting whipped around by these waves. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't get out of them. I yelled to my younger brother (the one who had convinced me to go in in the first place!) to help me get out and he tried, but then I got hit by another huge wave. Eventually I pawed my way to the shore. I was almost hyperventilating, I had sand EVERYWHERE, my bathing suit was definitely askew - I'm sure I looked like a huge mess. I sat on the beach and just cried. It was so scary!

But you know as a prairie girl with nary an ocean in sight, it's probably good to get a good lesson from the ocean once in awhile. You don't mess with the ocean!

15 comments:

  1. Oh eeeeek, the Ocean can be a pretty scary thing at times! Always completely beautiful though, and these photos are gorgeous, love the clouds against the water.
    Indonesia is one of my favourite places I've travelled, and your photos are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man that would've scared me too! But what really scares me is that ominous looking cloud formation in the back there. Is that rain approaching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it rained a little bit on the beach, but i think those clouds mean rain somewhere else? ominous!

      Delete
  3. oh janis, i've had similar experiences and i know how scary that is :(
    those are beautiful waters though. bali is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, you'd love it! i wish we had been able to check out the gili islands. i think that would be right up your alley.

      Delete
  4. I never tire of photos of the beach. Beautiful! 2 weekends ago, my husband and I were frolicking in the waves and we felt like happy little kids. It was bliss. :)
    http://liveitinerantly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it definitely can be fun! also, interestingly, i just met someone with your last name! he was explaining how to pronounce it... very tricky! :)

      Delete
  5. Oh no, what a horrible experience! Glad that you're ok!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Water can be scary sometimes - good that you´re OK after all. Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm so excited to follow your adventures on this beautiful blog of yours! so happy our paths have crossed on the interwebs. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had a few of these incidents myself. But at least you got some fabulous shots beforehand!

    Sweet Apple Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh no!!! i've definitely gotten caught in some pretty scary waves. at least you got some amazing pictures out of the day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I almost drowned in Indonesia as well - scariest thing ever. The waves may be fun, but totally not worth it! Glad you made it out ok :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh janis! haha! the same has happened to the best of us in hawaii. i know the feeling, it is super scary. but i'm so glad you had family nearby and lived to tell the tale! :) glad you're ok xo

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for writing! i love hearing from you!

xo